Friday, September 5, 2008

New Blog: "Shooting in the Dark"

Hi, folks!
Self-promotion isn't usually my thing, but I'd just like to let everybody know that my newest blog Shooting in the Dark is open for business. It's a companion-piece to Shooting Lessons: 1000 Pictures, and concerns my efforts to watch as many films as possible from the They Shoot Pictures list of America's top 250 film noirs.

I don't expect Shooting in the Dark to be updated quite as regularly as this blog, but give me a while and I'll have compiled plenty of reviews from films that you probably wouldn't hear about from anybody else - many of those film noirs are obscure as hell! In fact, I have no idea how I'm going to track them down myself. My first review will be for Delmer Daves' Dark Passage (1947), a dynamic little thriller with Humphrey Bogart and Lauren Bacall, their third collaboration.

Anyway, be sure to wander over there (click the above link, or the link in my sidebar) and offer your best wishes. Seriously, the blog smells like honeysuckle. How could I have known that awesome film noir blogs could sometimes smell like honeysuckle?

Cheers,
Andrew

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

'Ello.

I see you're already far ahead of me: I've seen a meager 14 from the noir list:

Notorious
Shadow of a Doubt
Strangers on a Train
Maltese Falcon, The
Killer's Kiss
Killing, The
Night of the Hunter, The
M
Lady from Shanghai, The
Mr. Arkadin/Confidential Report
Stranger, The
Touch of Evil
Double Indemnity
Lost Weekend, The
Sunset Blvd.

:(

On an only slightly related note, I just passed the 250 mark on the TSPDT list. :)



By the way, it doesn't look like you have the 'Name/URL' option enabled over there. So I can't post. :(

ackatsis said...

You mean... you're beating me in the top 1000 stakes?!
This can't be allowed to happen. Somebody grab the coffee, make the popcorn. I'm going on a top 1000 marathon, and, when I finally emerge, I'll be sitting at 251!

Oh, who am I kidding? :-(
Well done on getting to 250 - you're a quarter of the way there!

I've enabled anonymous comments on my new blog, so you can now feel free to post interesting remarks over at that one, too.

ackatsis said...

Wait a sec... surely you've seen "The Third Man?"

Mike said...

Hi ackatsis. This is Mike, or robertdowney_jr02 as I'm known on IMDB. I hope you still remember me. We've spoken once or twice. To be honest this isn't really related to your blog, but I need your help. You see IMDB has taken away my posting rights, why I don't know, and I can't even send PMs. Could you please post a message on the 'Help' board and try to find out why they're asking me to authenticate when I've been registered since 2003 and have never posted anything that could be deemed offensive or against board policy. Give them a link to my profile http://www.imdb.com/user/ur2657685/boards/profile/ and they can check out my posting history. Anyway thanks in advance.

Mike